Important Things You Need to Know before Buying a Used Commercial Box Truck
Buying a commercial truck is a large financial investment, and if you’re planning to acquire one, it is important for you to do your research to increase your knowledge base. In order to get a quality truck, you need to be equipped with sufficient information to make a good purchase selection. If you are just starting up with your business and trying to be conservative with your budget, buying used is always the best option!
Before you Google “used box truck dealers near me,” do your research to determine what type of used truck your business needs. Here are some elements that can have a big influence on your decision:
The Benefits of Purchasing a Used Commercial Box Truck
These are several of the benefits that you will enjoy when you buy a used commercial box truck.
- Cost savings – a used truck is always cheaper than a new one of the same model. But you must determine if that used vehicle is in good condition to really see your savings
- Lower depreciation rate – unlike new units, a used truck won’t take the large depreciation in value after you drive off the lot.
- You can use the cargo box exterior walls as a rolling billboard to advertise your business!
Things To Lookout for when Buying a Used Commercial Box Truck
Sometimes, the price of used commercial vehicles can be so temptingly low we tend to ignore the potential downsides of purchasing one. As a rule of thumb, you should always approach deals that seem too good to be true with a bit of skepticism. In order to avoid the potential costly mistakes of buying used commercial vehicles, take note of a few important things you need to check before deciding to buy one:
- Tire Condition – the condition of the tires can tell you how the truck was treated by its previous owner. You also need to take a glimpse of the inside of every tire for signs of grease or leaking brake fluid.
- Engine Coolant – Raise the hood to check the condition of the engine fluids. Take a look at the coolant. Coolant that appears rusty or brownish is an indication that rust or other deposits are present in the engine, heater core, and radiator.
- Air Filter and Engine Surface – If excessive dirt is trapped in the air filter and large amounts of grease and oil are accumulated on the engine, it is a clear indication that the truck did not have a sound maintenance program.
- Engine Oil – Dark and sticky oil indicates the presence of sludge and debris which can be harmful to the engine’s moving parts. It also indicates that the truck has routinely gone past its oil change due date. You can verify this by checking the vehicle’s oil change records
- Body – Rust can be located anywhere on a truck’s body. Check for it everywhere, even on the roof!
- Doors and Window Seals – Check all doors and window seals to make sure that they are in good condition. Faulty doors can be a safety/security risk and poor seals can cause water leaks in the truck cabin.
- Lights – Check and test all lights to make sure that they are working properly. Malfunctioning lights can indicate electrical problems which can become serious if left unattended.
- Mileage – If you suspect that the mileage is too low compared to the trucks age and the condition of its engine and body, move on to your next prospect.
Additional Information You’ll Need When Buying a Used Commercial Truck
Even if you are already done with your inspection, you may still need more information to make sure that you are choosing the right vehicle. Additional things you need to know about your prospective vehicle would be:
- A detailed history of the vehicle including its previous purpose, modifications, and repair history
- The owner’s reason for selling (if you buy directly from the owner)
- Expert opinion from a certified truck mechanic
- The truck’s traffic record and accident history
If you have the proper knowledge, buying a used commercial truck can be a smooth process that will save you money!
If you live in Oklahoma, Truck-N-Trailer is the highest rated used truck dealer. Our friendly staff can help you find the right used commercial truck to fit your needs.
Call us at (405) 912-5800 to start your journey towards being a commercial truck owner!
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.